It’s that time of year again! The holidays are right around the corner, and although San Diego doesn’t really get that chilly, it’s still fun to cozy up around warm, delicious meals at home with family and friends. One of our favorite cooler-weather dishes of all time is definitely soup, and this Vegan Tomato Basil Soup is no exception! Creamy, light, healthy, and totally vegan, this tomato basil soup recipe is a must-try as we head into the winter months.
So, how do you make vegan tomato basil soup? The key is to keep it creamy without using dairy, which might seem tough but can be easily done with the right ingredients – in this case, the soup gets its rich and creamy texture from puréed cauliflower and nutritional yeast. And the addition of red bell pepper, garlic, and plenty of spices creates layers of flavor that will keep you coming back for more! It’s an easy meal for the whole family, and it goes perfectly with a toasty grilled cheese on the side. Here’s how to make it!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnishing
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes in juice
- 1 small head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons Pizza is Life Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ to 1 cup water (if needed to thin soup)
- fresh basil, chopped (optional)
- Add olive oil to a large stock pot and heat over medium heat.
- Add in garlic and onion. Cook for 3-5 minutes until tender.
- Add in the red bell pepper and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, cauliflower, and Pizza is Life Seasoning (be sure to submerge the cauliflower chunks in the tomato liquid as much as possible).
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and allow the mixture to simmer vigorously for 20-25 minutes.
- Turn off heat and purée mixture with an immersion blender for 5-10 minutes or until the mixture is very smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can add the mixture to a blender in batches or a large food processor (return soup to the pan once done blending).
- Add salt to taste and nutritional yeast. Simmer on low for an additional 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If soup is thicker than desired, add in 1/2 to 1 cup water and whisk into soup.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle with olive oil and top with chopped fresh basil, if desired.
Serve with grilled cheese or any other side dish of your choosing!
In this post:
Pizza is Life Seasoning
Want to add a dash of pizza flavors to your more healthy meal endeavors?
With our Pizza is Life spice mix, you can add the sultry flavors of roasted garlic and Italian herbs to your next meal! Eating healthy doesn’t mean bland food! Enjoy that familiar savory flavor of pizza seasonings without the overly sweet, overly salty additives!
Enter your email to get the latest updates and offers from Eat Clean Meal prep sent directly to your inbox!
What We're All About
Empowering you to live a healthy lifestyle with quality meal prep delivery and supplies to enhance your prep experience.
Save time and reduce stress knowing that you’ll receive the best of our products and services time and time again.
Feel the satisfaction (guaranteed!) of complete customer care, great products, bountiful options, and happy taste buds.
Have peace of mind by staying in touch with us. Have questions or concerns? No problem, we are here for you. Just contact us!